Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Rambling: Finding a Job.

It is no surprise by now that finding a job out of college is one of the worst experiences one can go through. It tests your wit, your ego, your confidence, and your abilities to be fake nice. I love getting feedback, and I love improving myself. Most of my interviews have taught me a lot about myself and how to present myself at future interviews. But sometimes, I just have to rant. This is one of those times.

1. You need experience to get a job, but you need a job to get experience. Really though? Sorry that I only have one legitimate summer internship to prove that I know how some of the basics of my industry. Sorry that you are asking for someone with a year's worth of experience at a firm that you will obviously not find, because who works for their first job for only a year? Everyone knows you stay there for two years whether you like it or not. No matter how miserable it may be.

2. Employers noticing how talented I am, but not offering me a job. Oh, you think I'm really talented and I'm going places? But you won't hire me. Oh, okay. I see. I don't have enough experience? Yeah, because people like you keep passing me up. I'll go take my "talent" elsewhere. This is like dating. Stop sugar coating the reasons you are not hiring me.

3. These employers don't like people with ambition. You read that right. Employers love passionate people/designers. Employers apparently don't love when you are interested in many design disciplines, because it somehow says that you're not fully committed to the one you're interviewing for, which apparently means you will leave your job someday to follow your dreams. Or something like that. Instead they want narrow-minded people who are completely involved in one discipline. Their fault.

4. You need money to get a job, but you need a job to get money. These interviews are not cheap. I pay $10 to park in DC, and half the time you won't validate. Let's not even talk about the traffic I endured getting here. And flying out to interview in Vegas, Boston, or San Fran? Let's not even go there.

5. You can think an interview goes extremely well in a relaxed setting, but realize you've been played. Some of my best interviews are ones where I completely feel myself, tell a little jokes, insert a little sarcasm, and be honest with the people. I'm not trying to butter them up. I'm trying to show them who I am as a designer. And where does that get me? Nowhere. Still unemployed.

That's all I have to say about that. (Forrest Gump voice)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting!